Cleaning Autorun Viruses: How To Boot Into Safe Mode
June 21, 2009 Leave a comment
- If the system is already turned off, power it on.
- If the system is already on, shutdown the system normally, wait 30 seconds, then power it back on.
- Begin tapping the F8 key every few seconds as the system boots up until the screen offering the Safe Mode option appears.
- Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the Enter key.
- The system will now boot into Safe Mode.
- On Windows XP, you may receive a prompt asking if you really want to boot into Safe Mode. Choose Yes.
- Once Windows has booted into Safe Mode, open your antivirus program using the Start | Programs menu and run a complete virus scan.
- If your PC is a multi-boot system (i.e. has more than one operating system to choose from), first select the desired OS and then begin tapping the F8 key every few seconds while it boots.
- If tapping F8 did not result in the Safe Mode option being offered, repeat the steps.
- If after several attempts you are still unable to boot into Safe Mode, post a message in the Antivirus Forum. Be sure to note which operating system you are using.